Preliminary Check-list and other Misc items
For Windows 2003 and 2008 - Refer to Installation Checklist to follow the order of doing it
- Make sure you have changed the default password to a strong one as per the guidelines
- Make sure that Windows is activated
- Make sure not connected to domain controller
- No services like IIS and no server roles are installed
- Installed with more than one partition (C: D:)
- Make sure the system has a static internal IP address
- Away in a secure place and secure power cable
- Microsoft network client should be disabled on all network connections.
- Make sure that the boot sequence is correct (CD,HDD,USB)
- Allowing "Boot from USB" causes a severe risk of infection by boot sector viruses since the first infected USB device inserted WILL infect the server immediately as anti-virus programs are not active during boot
- Ensure the Windows CD/ I386 folder is copied to C Drive. (Not required for Windows Server 2008 and Windows 10)
- All high priority Windows updates from Microsoft are installed
- Automatic Windows update is configured to install at 3AM and can be on any day between Sunday to Thursday since Support will be available to restart NEOSYS processes after a server restart. Refer How to configure daily Scheduled Tasks
- Make all desktop icons visible (right click on desktop > Personalise > Change desktop icons and tick Computer, User Files, Network, Recycle Bin and Control Panel)
- Change the name of the server to NEOSYS
- In Tools > Folder Options > View – Tick Show hidden files and folders and Un-tick Hide extensions
- Check time zone and make sure it is set to the correct region of installation
- Disable Autorun (all drives) – Run > gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Auto Play Policies > Turn off Autoplay should be enabled for All Drives
- Enable Audit Privilege Use – Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policy > Audit Policy > Audit Privilege Use – Tick both Success and Failure
- Disable password expiry – Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Account Policies > Password Policy > Maximum password age – Change to "0" days.
- Rename D drive name to NEOSYS
- Create shortcuts for Computer Management, D drive, Scheduled Tasks and Command Prompt in the Quick Launch area
- Use Client's/ISP's DNS and not a general service like 18.104.22.168 so that we are aware of any significant network changes.
For Windows 2008 (additional)
Configuring the administrator account in Windows 10
run cmd as administrator then
Rename Administrator to be administrator (BEFORE INSTALLING CYGWIN). Check in Computer management that it is successful.
wmic useraccount where name='Administrator' rename 'administrator'
Set a password for administrator and enable login
net user administrator * net user administrator /active:yes